Home Insurance

What does home insurance cover?

Home insurance falls into three categories – buildings, contents and combined policies. You can compare all three policy types through our site.

Combined policies are usually only suitable if you own your own home. They insure your property against damage, but also cover your belongings under the same insurance policy.

You can add optional extras to your policy, such as home emergency cover and legal cover. Some providers might cover these as standard. Accidental damage cover is another extra worth considering as it covers unintentional one-off incidents that harm your property or its contents. For example putting your foot through the floor when you’re up in the loft or spilling red wine on the carpet.

Buildings insurance

If you’re a homeowner – or about to become one – then you should consider a buildings insurance policy. Although it’s not a legal requirement, many mortgage lenders insist that you have buildings insurance in place to cover the property.

Buildings cover insures your bricks and mortar against damage from specific events such as fire, flood and subsidence. The policy will normally cover:

the building itself (including the roof)
your outbuildings, such as your garage or garden shed
any fixtures and fittings, like your kitchen or bathroom
If you need to make a claim, there are several ways the insurer can pay out:

  • repair the damage caused to the property
  • replace the damaged part(s) of the property
  • pay out the cash equivalent for the damage

Contents insurance

If you’re renting, your landlord is usually responsible for insuring the building itself, but not your belongings. You should be able to find this out in your tenancy agreement.

Contents insurance is generally aimed towards renters, though it’s a policy that everyone should consider as a minimum level of cover.

Contents insurance protects your belongings in the event they’re lost or damaged by theft or fire. It can also cover natural occurrences such as flooding.

Insurers consider contents as the items you’d take with you if you moved house.

Contents insurance generally covers:

  • your gadgets (eg laptop, smartphone, TV)
  • your furniture (eg bookcases, wardrobes, sofas)
  • clothes and jewellery
  • family heirlooms and antiques

If you need to make a claim, there are several ways the insurer can pay out:

  • repair the damage caused to the items
  • replace the contents for the same or comparable items
  • pay out the cash equivalent

Get Home Insurance Quote


Tech Shop Offers

Music and Hifi Offers

Money and Loans

Get the very best deal on Loans, Credit Cards, Bank Accounts and Mortgages.

Motor Insurance Quote

Get a Quick Motor Insurance Quote and Compare from over 65 Providers.

Home Insurance and More

Compare Home Insurance from over 65 Insurance Providers to guarantee you the best deal.

Life Insurance and More

Get a Quick Life Insurance Quote and Compare Deals from UK's well known Insurance Providers.

Travel Insurance Quotes

Insurance Freedom Provides Insurance and Financial information and services.

We provide the very best offers from the top Insurance and Financial Companies.

If you are looking to insure your Car, Home, Business or Looking for Holiday Insurance, we will provide guides and the latest products to suit your needs.